Unfortunately, many people don’t realize that cardiovascular disease and stroke are major women’s health risks; but knowledge is power and a critical part of healthy living! Did you know ~
- Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women in the United States.
- Heart disease kills more than a third of women in the United States each year.
- More than 42 million women are currently living with some form of cardiovascular disease.
- Stroke and cardiovascular diseases are responsible for the death of one in three women every year.
- Almost two-thirds of women who die of coronary heart disease have no previous symptoms.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for heart disease or stroke.
- Heart disease kills six times as many women as breast cancer every year, but data shows that women fear breast cancer more.
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), some of the key factors to poor heart health include overweight/obesity, diabetes. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking and excessive alcohol intake.
Every little change counts!
With this heart health information, you’re better equipped to take the best care of your heart. Try adding one thing to your day to give your heart a boost, and remember that little changes can make a big difference!
Plan something for a day when you know they don't have anything going on, tell them you have a fun date arranged, blindfold them, drive around to make sure they don’t know where you’re going, and then go to the location. This could be an activity you’ve always wanted to do together but haven’t had the chance to do yet or something simple that you do together all the time. The added mystery makes it more fun.
So many times, we have picnics during the day, so mix things up and plan a picnic for sunset instead. According to a recent survey, sunsets are more romantic anyway. You could do this at the beach, on the bank of a river or lake, in an open park, or anywhere else that you know has a good view. Try to get there an hour before the sun actually sets, so you can enjoy your picnic snacks and drinks before. Then just focus on each other and the scenery once the sun starts sinking.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 10 drops Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (start with 8 drops and adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-3 drops Lemon Vitality Oil (optional - depending on your taste - remember a little goes a long way!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter and flour the entire pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, 1 cup of the sugar, eggs, lemon vitality oil, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, whisking to combine. Use a rubber spatula to fold the vegetable oil into the batter until it’s fully incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester stuck in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a baking rack over a sheet pan. Use a cake tester, wooden skewer, or toothpick to carefully pierce holes throughout the cake (I used a skewer so that I could have various depths of holes in the cake to allow more syrup to get through - don't worry they're not noticeable when you're done!). While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon vitality oil (if using) whisking to form a smooth glaze. Pour over the cake. Slice and serve with fresh berries, whipped cream, or ice cream.